Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The wonderful Crockpot

Lately I've had this obsession with my crockpot. I don't know how the working woman ever lived without them. I love trying new recipes and since I work full time I love being able to put something in the crockpot before I leave for work and not have to worry about throwing something together when I get home. I try to find recipes with ingredients that are common, and that are not too expensive to make.

The latest recipe that I made was White Chicken Chili. One of my co-workers made it for potluck day at work and everyone loved it. It's really good on a sub-zero frigid day like we've been having lately.

So here is the recipe. Also, I know that a lot of the people that read my blog have to eat a gluten-free diet and this is totally gluten free.

White Chicken Chili
3-4 cooked shredded chicken breasts (or 1 lb. browned ground turkey)
4 cans white beans (Northwest or navy)
8 oz. shredded pepperjack cheese (I tried to cube it thinking it would melt but it didn't).
8 oz. Sour cream (Some sour cream has gluten, Walmart brand sour cream is gluten free)
16 oz. picante salsa
Small can green chilis
1 tsp. cumin

Combine all ingredients and cook on high in the crockpot for 3-4 hours or until cheese is melted and it is warmed through. It's really good as a dip with tortilla strips or just served in a bowl as soup.

4 comments:

Sandra said...

I agree, life would be more difficult if it weren't for that wonderful invention. Thanks for the recipe. Kevin is allergic to beans but I have a friend who can't have gluten so I'll have to share it with her.

Sharane said...

Thanks for the recipe! I love simple things that can be cooked in the crockpot. I like your disclaimer at the top of your blog. :)

Michelle said...

I think there is something so comforting about food cooking in a crockpot. It just makes you feel cozy.

I love white chicken chili. My recipe is similar, but I will have to give this one a try just to use the crock pot!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I do really like the crock-pot, but I need to find one that either automatically shuts off and keeps food warm or have a delayed start. I'm gone for 11 hours every day when you factor in my commute, and most recipes cook in far less time than that. Frustrating.

This would make a great weekend recipe, though! Sounds absolutely delicious.