Sunday, September 19, 2010

Independence- And I ain't talkin' BYU

As a lot of you know, Scott works a lot of long hours. He has to go up to SLC sometimes and will be gone for days at a time. I've learned that I can be a pretty independent person. There isn't much around the house I can't do for myself. (Although I still save some of those things for him when he gets home.) There is one thing that I just can't do for myself, and that involves big spiders. I have always been scared of spiders. But when I was 20, I had the most horrific experience with two spiders plus all their babies and it caused me such emotional distress that I had to have my mom sleep in my bed with me for a few days. Since then, when I see a big spider in my house, my head gets tingly and I start to hyperventilate. Is this something I need to overcome? Probably since our goal is to move to Missouri one day, the home of all big bugs. But I still have a major struggle with it.

So the other night, when I went to brush my teeth, I grabbed the toothpaste, which I keep in a cup with my nail scrub brush and I noticed that it was super dusty in there. I didn't think anything of it because our bathroom gets dusty very quickly. So I went about my business. So last night I went to get my toothpaste again and noticed that it was not dust in the cup but a huge spiderweb with a huge spider in there. I don't know how long it's been living there but I kinda freaked out. Scott was not home, so I had to figure out what I was going to do. There was no way I would be able to sleep if I knew it had access to me. So after the tingling in my head subsided and I took some deep breaths, I did this...
It took a lot of courage to even pick up the cup, but I flipped it over and for added security (who knows how freakishly strong it is) I put a bottle of hydrogen peroxide on top for weight. Luckily I'll see Scott tonight and I'll let him figure out how he is going to dispose of it from there. :)

11 comments:

EJ said...

Oh my goodness, I get creeped out just reading about spiders. I am deathly afraid of them too. Once I was at work and there was a spider on the ceiling (I was all alone in the office). I couldn't do any work and just sat there and stared at the spider. When my boss got back, she was laughing at me because it was so tiny. And last night, I was working on my primary lesson and this huge spider started crawling across my book. I screamed and jumped up. Luckily, my husband was at home at the time and killed it. And a few days ago there was a spider at my parent's house and my mom sprayed it with poison, so it started crawling around really fast before it died. My mom and I were both screaming and Ash just stood there watching it and laughing. I'm kind of interested to hear what your experience was when you were 20, but not if it's going to scare you to talk about it. Gross; I hate spiders!

Sandra said...

When I saw the hydrogen peroxide I thought you had used it in the cup ha ha. Kevin is gone quite a bit now too and I make the Andrew take care of them ha ha. I figure he has to get used to it, it's like the job of every man right? :)

Joylybean said...

I'm not a spider fan either and I used to make Amy kill them when we shared an apartment. I kill them myself now but however I do it, it involves me standing pretty far away... usually I will grab the vacuum, put on all of the hose pieces so it is as long as it gets and then I suck it up! Thanks for the laugh - this was a great post!

Laurel said...

you and my brother! This is classic.
SO PROUD of you (and love the title. clever you.)

miss you.
xoxo

Michelle said...

I am now feeling spiders crawling on me! Spiders are retched.

Calli said...

The best way to kill spiders is with the vaccum! That way you dont have to touch it!! (O:

Kelley Anne said...

I agree about the vaccumn! That's the way that I get rid of spiders! For this situation, I probably would have attempted to get it into the sink with lots of water to drown the thing! Reading that just made me laugh and think about the first experience I had with a spider when I was living on my own! I found a huge black widow spider and I just freaked out! Called my dad at 11pm, and he just laughed at me. Wanted to know if I really expected him to drive 30 minutes to my apartment to kill a spider! That's when I learned to suck it up with the vaccum, with all of the hose extensions on so that I could stay VERY far away!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Good for you!! I would have been petrified as well (think you saw my arachnaphobe post), but what's worse? Not knowing where that sucker is because you didn't trap it!!!

Rooneys said...

I love the hydrogen peroxide bottle! Genius!

Rooneys said...

so what did scott do?

Kerri and Cody said...

haha.. that's awesome!