Saturday, March 19, 2011

Decisions Decisions

Sometimes I really hate being a grown-up because it generally means you have to make grown-up decisions. These past few weeks we've had to make some tough decisions about the future, and the outcome was not what we thought it would be. Almost a year ago, we felt this urge that we needed to move to Logan after this school year was over. There was a possibility of a good job up there for Scott and we felt that Logan would be a great place for us to settle down for a while. As most of you know, living in Price has not been my favorite thing in the world. Besides having to drive the most dangerous highway in Utah to get to the nearest Target, it's just a whole different life style than what I grew up with.

Well, over the last few months, we have started to feel like Logan is not the place for us. I don't think it would be a bad thing to move there, I just don't think it would be the best thing. Our back-up plan was to move to SLC, where I could transfer to the SLC office for my work and Scott could work free lance for the company he worked for before we moved to Price. As we thought about it, we realized that didn't seem like the right move either.

Scott started looking online and applied to a few different places around the country. He had an interview with a company in LA. Some days we felt good about possibly moving to California and other days it just didn't feel right. The cost of living was the thing that scared me most.

So... one day Scott was looking through our local paper and found a job listing for a place here in Price. It was for the position for a manager at a local Verizon store. Jobs like these are rare here in Price and so Scott decided to give it a shot and apply. He was called the next morning and was set up for an interview. He passed the first interview and had a second one and they offered him the position. We honestly thought our time in Price was coming to an end but this just felt right to both of us. In the 3 years we've been married, we've never had 2 full-time incomes so this is going to be a really nice change.

I'm really glad that I don't have to leave my job. It's a really great one and I've enjoyed it more than any other job I've had. I'm also glad to be staying in our house here. When we were looking at moving, we were going to have to downsize and I couldn't figure out how we were going to fit all of our things in a 2-bedroom apartment.

I've really grown to love Price, and when we thought of moving, I would get really sad thinking of leaving all of my friends, and my great ward. I'm excited that we get to stay here for a while longer.

But I am still hoping that our next stop is Missouri. When I think of the future that's where I see us, and we always say that's the next step but we get a different answer than we are expecting.

5 comments:

Sandra said...

Moving is a tough decision. Kevin and I still wonder if we missed the boat and now that he is Bishop we know we will be here awhile longer. Although we know this isn't our permanent place. We never thought we would be here for the 9 years we have. I wish there were neon signs, wouldn't that be nice. Congrats to Scott on the new job and good luck. Oh and Thanks for the Box tops, they are welcome anytime :)

The Kirkwoods 2.0 said...

You already know my feelings on these things...what's meant to be is meant to be. You can never tell.
You and Scott deserve the very best life has to offer, and all it's wonderful opportunities. Sometimes the path meanders before landing you at the best destination.
On a purely selfish note....YAY!!! I cannot imagine my life without you right now. I am so glad we're lunch buddies (when we can) and date-mates, haha. And there to lend that shoulder to each other when needed.
Congrats to Scott, he will be an awesome manager!!!
Love ya!
And I forgot I had a Google account, doh. But it's a weird name...so this is Kelly in case you haven't figured that out by now. ha!!

Laurel said...

so proud of you guys.
you're living so you can hear the spirit AND you're following its promptings.
I mean, YOU are choosing to stay in Price. THAT says A LOT (grin).

I can't wait to see how things play out.

xoxo

Sharane said...

Being a grown-up means so much responsibility! It is overwhelming at times! That is so great that Scott found a good job & that you feel right about staying where you are. Moving is so expensive & I like to do it as little as possible! It is so nice to be somewhere you feel comfortable & where you know you are supposed to be. We have got to make a trip out to Missouri, to see why everyone likes it so much! Bruce & Chris are amazing people!

Rooneys said...

I really don't like some grown up decisions either! But thats so great that you knew to follow what felt right and great Scott found a good job! so happy for you!