Sunday, July 27, 2008

I love to see the temple


I love this temple, to me it looks like a castle and inside is just as gorgeous as outside. Yesterday was ward temple day and we got to make a 2 hour drive to Manti to attend a session. This required us to get up at 5:30 in the morning (which is the middle of the night for me). This was only the 3rd time that I had been to this temple but it is probably my favorite Utah temple along with the Jordan River. The first time I came to this temple was 2 years ago with my favorite cousin Laurel. We took a Utah temple trip to the Manti, Monticello and the Vernal Temple. It was such a fun trip and so spiritual. I went to the Manti Temple again a couple months later with Scott. I had had my birthday a few weeks before we went and he gave me a couple gifts along with a coupon for "a date you will never forget". This was only our 2nd official date and it was a surprise. He took me to the Manti Temple and then we went to his grandparents cabin a few miles away and spent the afternoon there with some of his family. We had a really spiritual talk when we went there and we were able to talk about some great principles found in the temple. After that day, that temple had a special meaning to me. If we had gotten married in Utah, that's where I would have chosen. The spirit of the pioneer heritage is very strong there.

You hear stories of people having to travel many hours to get to the temple and we got to experience a tiny bit of that yesterday. We left at 6:30 a.m. and got home at 3:30 p.m. I know that's nothing compared to what some people have to do but we used to live in a place with 8 temples within a 2 hour drive (soon to be 10 temples). And I don't think that we realized how lucky we were or how important it was to take advantage of that. We had a really good turnout from our ward and many people spent the day doing temple work. We feel really lucky to be in such a great ward with so many faithful people. And we do feel lucky and blessed that we only have to travel 2 hours to attend our temple. We are really excited to have Manti be our temple.

5 comments:

Sandra said...

Great post! I also love to see the temple! I'm always amazed that the pioneers could build them with little tools and the imense work. Today we have cranes and other machines to help aid the work but they did it by hand. It's been a blessing to have the temple five minutes away! Our closest temple growing up was Prove, a 2- 2 1/2 hour drive. Then when I was in High school the Vernal temple was made. Well sorry to write a novel for a comment I just agree with ya!!!

Christi said...

Did you take that picture? It's beautiful!

Anonymous said...

It is my favorite too! I love the craftmenship! It truly is amazing!!

Sandra said...

I forgot to send a card....that happens a lot I just wanted to say Happy Birthday!!!! I hope you had a good day!

Kenzie said...

HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY MY BEAUTIFUL AUNT!!! Sorry, yesterday I had drill and then we went to Raging Waters and I didn't text all day pretty much. BUT I LOVE YOU!! AND YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!
Love Kenzie