Sunday, May 17, 2009

Grandpa's funeral

I know that there is some family on my mom's side that would like to see how the funeral went because they were unable to make it so here are some pictures and a little review. The funeral was absolutely beautiful. It lasted almost 2 hours and were filled with memories and wonderful stories about grandpa. I think that my favorite story had to do with my brother. When my grandparents moved to Utah in 1990 the house that they moved into had an unfinished basement. So many days my dad would go over there and take my brother along to work on it. My brother would do odd jobs like working in the yard or helping in the basement or just hanging out with my grandpa. My grandpa would always slip him some money for the help. One day when he was over there my grandpa asked if he wanted to go to lunch. My brother said sure so they got in the car and left. My grandpa said the he needed to stop by the bank to pick up some money for lunch and some extra to give to Joey. When they pulled up, my grandpa said "Okay, I'm going to go in and get some money, now Joey, hand me my gun out of the glove box and I'll be right back." He did this all with a straight face. My brother thought he was serious until my grandpa finally laughed it off and said he was kidding. These were the types of funny things my grandpa did. He was quite the character.

This is a picture of my family. Rarely do we get this many of us together at one time so this was a special picture for us, especially my mom.
This is my dad's siblings with spouses and my grandma.

This was at the cemetery. My grandpa was a Air Force Captain so he got full military honors. It was really neat.
The pallbearers were my grandparents 2 sons and the oldest grandson in each family. My dad is the one in the back on the right and my brother is right in front of him.
All of the grandkids were able to put a flower on the casket. This is me and Addison.I'm so grateful that I was able to attend and see family and be a part of such a special legacy.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

It really was a beautiful funeral. It was so nice to see you. Too bad for just a short time.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

It was so good to see you, if only for a little bit. Wish everyone had been in town a little longer to hang out (we left early Saturday morning).

Sandra said...

It's nice that your family could be together. He sounds like a great Grandpa.

Elaine said...

Thank you for sharing the funeral with us. I almost feel like I was there. It was so good to see all of your family together.

Laurel said...

I SO wanted to be there...thanks for this post. Your grandpa is a GOOD man. Happy that you all got to be together to celebrate his life.

miss you.
xoxo