Saturday, August 9, 2008

It really sucks, no really it does!!!

Today at the Westwood home it is cleaning day! Our home is caked with dust and dirty carpets, loads of laundry, along with a pretty dirty bathroom. Since I've been working full-time it's a lot harder to clean around here. I get up in the morning and workout and get ready for work just in time to leave and by the time I get home, I just want to spend some time with Scott, so that leaves me Saturdays. We've made a few trips to WJ over the weekends and we went to the temple one Saturday so this is the first time in a long time that I've had a whole day at home by myself to clean things up. It's a lot harder to get motivated to clean when Scott is around to go and play with. So, I've had to maintain a lot of self-control and not pick up "Breaking Dawn" (which I'm 200 pages into) and get to work on cleaning this place! I always feel better when I'm sitting in a clean house, then I'm not thinking about how I should be cleaning and I can just relax and do what I want. So I was getting busy on cleaning when Scott called me from work asking if my mom needed a new vacuum. There was a vacuum at Sears on sale for $79.99 marked down from $259.99 to $160.00 and then to $79.99. It's this great Hoover vacuum that was a floor model and they needed to get rid of. My mom doesn't needed a new vacuum now the Lady, the shedding machine, is in doggy heaven with all her hair. But we desperately needed a vacuum. We've been using Scott's Grandma Stanger's vacuum from her old apartment and the thing doesn't work very well. You could go over an area numerous times and still pick up stuff and still have to go over it again with our hand Dyson to pick up big pieces, and I'm pretty sure that I have some hearing loss since having to use it. The machine is so loud. It would also overheat after about 3 minutes of vacuuming so you would have to wait a few hours for it to cool and it would turn on again. It's a tiny little thing and really light but it doesn't work well. So I ran over to Sears before anyone else could snatch it up and took a look at it. I told Scott that I wanted to use my birthday money from my parents for part of it and the rule is in my family that when you get birthday or Christmas money, your spouse can't tell you what to do with it, so I wanted this for my birthday. (How sad is that!) I never thought that I would be so excited about a vacuum for my birthday, but I was so excited to bring it home and try it.

Here is a picture of our old vacuum. It's so tiny!


This is our new Hoover. It's pretty big and heavy but boy does it suck! You can see the dirt being sucked up as it vacuums an area and the bag is almost full from vacuuming our room and living. The handle comes out and is a vacuume wand to clean couches and corners. It also has some attachments. You can adjust the settings so for high or low carpet and wood surfaces.
There is a little light on the base that flashes clean or dirty when you are going over an area and it will continue to say dirty until all of the dirt is sucked up. So my carpet will be totally clean.

In all of our married life, we've never seen patterns in the carpet after vacuuming. It was so exciting to see this! And the carpet felt so much softer after. I'm so happy to have a vacuum that really works!

4 comments:

Laurel said...

i can't stand how much I love that you are this excited about a vacuum...you are SUCH a grown up.

Congrats on your new little bundle 'o joy (grin).

Love you guys!

SD and EJ said...

I know what you mean about cleaning; it's hard to do sometimes. How sad is is that I'm jealous of your vacuum cleaner?

Sandra said...

Congrats on your new vacuum. We have been using a hoover that my parents got me when I went to college. It's been a good vacuum! I'm always asking for things I NEED and not things I WANT for birthdays and Christmas. It drives Kevin crazy because he figures those times are for things that you Want.

destiny808 said...

HEHEHE... Steph I freaking miss your guts... You are so funny I am so glad that you actually have a vacuum that works now... I remember you telling me about the other one... Awww the little things in life that we appreciate...
Lotsa loves, hugs nad kisses
AMBS