Thursday, August 14, 2008

Tradition

I love the summertime, I really do, but having an apartment without air conditioning is just plain miserable some days. There are days like today that the apartment just won't cool down. I am not a winter person and I used to wish that it could be summer all year round but this year I'm looking forward to fall for 2 reasons. Every year I have one good reason to wish for fall but I always feel like I'm betraying myself because with fall brings snow eventually. I'm looking forward to fall since it will cool things down. And also it's the most wonderful time of the year (you know you're singing the song too, I hope it doesn't stay in your head like it will mine.) We are on the countdown people. We are 16 days away from the best sport in the world starting. No, it's not basketball, not baseball either...are you ready for some football? I know I am! Last year at this time I was planning a wedding and I was only able to go to 1 BYU home game. I think that is a record for me, I usually go to at least 5 out of 6 BYU games a year. But I was preoccupied and I don't regret it at all! But sad to say, I don't remember much of what happened last year with our football team. We were obviously pretty good to be ranked in the top 25. But I am so excited to go to the opening game. I'm definitely going to follow things this year.

There are so many things about BYU football that I love. I love driving to Provo and walking down the street to the stadium. I love the pregame show (definitely not a real tailgate party). I love hearing the band come down the street and I love watching my team come out of that tunnel and hearing the crowd go wild. We spend 3 months of the year in a Cougar family, if you will. We have season ticket holders around us that have become our little community. We have the Blackfoot family behind us that drive down for every home game with their kids of all ages. And the sweet couple in front of us that are from Springville. And then you have the guy 3 rows in front of us that has to stand on every play (we used to sit right behind him and requested to move up a bit, it gets annoying having to stand all the time to see a play).

This is a great tradition in our family and the last few years my sister's family has gotten tickets next to us. It's so fun to see the tradition starting over in another generation in our family. I just love what BYU football is now. I love that we have such an amazing coach with morals and the ability to teach these boys to become men, honorable men, not just great football players. We are so lucky to have him as our coach and every time he speaks I'm reminded of how our team could have been somewhere totally different and how everything happens for a reason. And how choice #1 is not always the better choice. Our choice #2 coach was the better option. I'm so excited for this season, this is like Christmas for me. Let's hope for another great season and another 4th and 15 or 4th and 26 to win our last game. There's nothing like the feeling of winning like that. Go Cougars!

4 comments:

SD and EJ said...

Hooray for BYU football lovers!! I'm so excited too! I'm just trying to decide if I am totally stupid for going to the first game when I'm 8 1/2 months pregnant. But I think I'm going to do it. At least I'll be sitting next to my dad, who happens to deliver babies for a living, so worst case scenario: I go in to labor and my dad delivers my baby.

Sandra said...

Wow I had no idea you were so into Football. So you and Scott are season ticket holders then?

Kerri and Cody said...

Sorry about the no air conditioning! We did that last summer... it was pretty miserable at times! Some days were so hot and humid I didn't feel like doing anything (except of course to escape to nearby stores and take advantage of their air conditioners!) Hopefully things will cool down pretty soon!

Kenzie said...

RISE AND SHOUT!!!
I'm SOOOOOOOOOO excited!!!
I'm going to come to as many of the games as I can, I promise.
It depends on drill schedule.... but I am SO excited for this season!!!!
Ra ra ra ra ra!! goooooo COUGARS!!!