Sunday, June 29, 2008

I love Primary!

I started teaching primary today. They called me a couples weeks ago and I was so excited! I taught the 7-8 year olds in our last ward and it was so fun to see the kids as they were preparing for baptism, and I knew that I would miss being in that class when we moved. Well, they called me to the same class in our new ward and I couldn't be more thrilled.  I prepared my lesson and was so excited this morning to teach. I remember when I was called as a teacher after high school, I didn't put that much thought into my lessons and I went with the attitude that they were sunbeams and wouldn't remember anything that I taught anyway.  But after being in a single's ward for 5 years and going back to a family ward, and thinking about my future children, I've realized how essential it is to teach children about the gospel. I think that one of the most important callings in the church is to teach primary. For some of the kids, it's the only foundation that they get and it's teaching principles to them that they'll remember for the rest of their lives.  With that new perspective, I've put a lot more effort into my lessons and tried to make it memorable. So I was so excited to get to teach today, and taking all of the good memories from my class in West Jordan, I just knew that today would be fantastic and that I would be making a difference. I apparently blocked out the bad memories of my last class but those repressed memories were brought to the surface today. 7-8 year old boys have an attention span of about 3 minutes, and they can find many stories that they claim to be relevant to the lesson. With the many interruptions, and the many attempts to get back on track, I think that all in all it turned out pretty good. I'm so amazed at all the things that these kids know and have been taught in their homes. They really are good kids and I'm so excited to be able to be an instrument in their learning. One other thing that I love about primary is getting to sing all of the songs in sharing time. It is so fun to be able to sing along with the kids. And I have to give a big KUDOS out to all that have been or are in a primary presidency. You guys work hard to teach the kids and to make things fun for them and that's a big job! Thanks for taking on that challenge. 

3 comments:

Kenzie said...

I miss Primary!! Haha. But I love YW's. So it's all good :) I can't believe I'm 15, isn't that just weird?! A year til I can date.. even weirder. And I'll be driving! WEIRD!!!!

Sandra said...

I wished everyone had your attitude towards primary. It makes me sad because in our ward there are teachers who don't even show up. Like the children can teach themselves!!! I wish people would take it more seriously! A great place for fun ideas is theideadoor.com It has coloring pages and other fun ideas for the lessons. Just click on the Primary link, let me know what you think. I love this site, it has so many great ideas for every area of the church. Does Scott have a calling yet?

Christi said...

I bet you're an awesome Primary teacher! I'm sure the kids can tell how much you love them!