Friday, June 6, 2008

This Week




This week has been one full of mixed emotions. I'm definitely going nuts staying home all day everyday and I can't wait to start a job but I only have a week and a half left. For those of you that don't know, I'll be working at Sorensen Communications with is a relay service for deaf people. It actually pays pretty decent for a job in Price and we are feeling blessed that we even have that job for me right now. I can work full-time and we'll have benefits. We didn't anticipate that it would be so difficult to get a job down here in the field that I studied. People here take these jobs and never give them up, they live and work here forever, which makes it hard for people like me to get into something. But I am still looking, I would get paid more to work in the social work field, so who knows what will happen in the future.

I'm still trying to adjust to the small town and some days are rough. There are some days that I don't want to be here in Price (even though I know that's where I'm supposed to be), but I know that most of that is due to the fact that I'm stuck at home. I know that once I start working that I won't have time to think about stuff about that.

My mom came to see me on Wednesday which was a lot of fun. Scott and I went to lunch with her, which was a treat since we don't ever eat out anymore. My mom spend a rainy day here with me and went to Walmart to buy a few things. She bought us some great flowers for our landing. They are so pretty (as seen above). One pot has pink daisies and the other one looks a bit like a daisy but not quite the same. They make me happy everytime I walk outside! I have the best mom in the world, and it's not even worth contesting so no one should even try. :)
Scott's aunt, uncle, grandparents and cousin came down to Price on Tuesday and it was so great to see them. Scott's cousin Jamin came down to look at CEU, we are hoping that she will come down to school, we'd love to have her down here with us.
One of the great experiences that we had this week was to go to a care center for older people and have church with them. We went on Sunday and were able to help with the program for Sacrament meeting. There was such a great spirit there and we felt so lucky to be there. We then to our own ward and there we signed up to do a program for family home evening over there. There are 3 older couples that are assigned to the care center, they come to all of their church functions, but each ward in the stake takes turns helping with Sacrament meeting, Relief Society and FHE. We were talking to one of the couples who helps and the man Brother Gardner was saying how great it was so serve there and how he really regarded it as a sacred place because it was the place where people were preparing for the sacred experience of moving on from this life. Scott made the comment that the veil is so thin in a place like that, and it's so true. The people have almost fulfilled all that they were meant to in this lifetime and I'm sure are anticipating moving on to see their loved ones. One of the women who lived there was sitting in her wheelchair and there were 3 empty seats behind her and after having this conversation with Brother Gardner, she said "If you need any help, these 3 men behind me can help." Now we aren't sure what her mind is like, she seemed perfectly sound, but the romantic in me wants to believe that she was seeing angels. What an amazing and sacred experience that would be! This whole experience gave me a new view on care centers and dying. I'm so glad that we took the opportunity to go and feel the spirit there!

No comments: