Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Office + The Biggest Loser= AWESOME


I've been waiting for some good TV to come back on. Summer TV is really dull and I don't have time for it, but I really enjoy a few shows that start in fall. The season premiere of The Office was on on Thursday and they did a contest at work for a weight loss challenge. This episode could not have been premiered at a better time because starting last week on the 22nd, my work decided to start a "Biggest Loser" contest. There are only about a dozen people signed up, only one being a man. We are doing the contest until November the 22nd which is in the week of Thanksgiving. They are giving whoever wins a $50 gift certificate (we're not sure where to). Being in management, and obviously needing to lose weight, I have to set the example and do it. I'm actually really excited. I think that I can stick with it and I really want to lose this weight that I've gained since being married. The first week is always the hardest for me. It is that week that pretty much determines whether I can stick with it or not. Trying to limit the sweets, controlling portions and not eating after a certain time are the things I'm adjusting to and that will make or break this challenge for me. I've exercised 5 times this week and I can feel a huge difference in my energy level and I just feel better. I was really good at maintaining my weight before I got married. I know I could have lost some, but I was content with staying at that weight, but then when I got married things changed. I had chores to do that took up time, instead of exercising, I learned to cook and wanted to make really good tasting (therefore fattening) food to please my husband and I ate with him. We ate out, we ate late, and we ate whatever looked good. Since we have moved here, we don't eat out anymore, I rarely cook since I'm not home at night and we are busy! Scott has lost quite a bit of weight because of the change in life and now it's my turn. 

I would appreciate comments on this post so that I know I'm not the only person in the world that struggles with this horrible, constant battle. But if you are really skinny, please don't post how you are blessed to be able to eat whatever you want and not have to exercise and you never gain a pound, we might not be friends after if you do. :)   

Oh, and back to The Office, the episode is hilarious and met my expectations of funniness. Yay for Jim and Pam! 


5 comments:

Jody said...

I totally understand how you feel. I used to be completely content with my weight and the way I looked...now, not so true! And you know why...think back to the bridal shower at Sue's... Life is so busy and it so hard to lose weight. I definitely have never been blessed with the "I am so skinny and can eat whatever I want, whenever I want" gene. I also am trying to lose weight and hope I can really jump feet first into the weight loss thing again...you are so lucky to have the additional motivation from work! I wish you the best of luck...keep me posted on your endeavors. By the way...5 days this week? You go girl!

Justin Compton Family said...

I'm so glad you made this post. Lately I have been more concerned with how out of shape I am. My job requires me to be in fairly good shape and I can feel it wearing on me these past few weeks. I was pretty skinny when we started dating, and now my 'baggy jeans' from back then I can't even get on. I haven't really gone much by weight for years cause I always weigh more than I look, so I just go by how I feel and if I'm happy with how I look. I will never be as small as I was 5 years ago, I don't want to be, I'm not sure it was real healthy for me...But now I have this post baby body. Don't get me wrong, it could be worse, I think I did pretty good not putting on excess baby weight. My work does what they call a "Melt Down" competition in the spring that lasts 3 months. My department always has at least one team and they can get real competative. I'm thinking I would like to try it this year. Let me know how yours goes and what worked for you. All the things you posted are some of the same problems I have...Good luck!

Dawson Family said...

Hey Steph! It's Amy from the Bailey family in West Jordan. I look at your blog once in awhile to see how you and Scotty are. We just started a family one dawsonsinidaho.blogspot. I just had to comment and say that I hate struggling with my weight!!! I love sweets, I have 2 kids to chase and I just never get around to doing things like exercising. I own a dance studio, I should be in shape, but..... not so much. So GOOD LUCK with your challenge! I am rooting for you! Take care, Amy

Sandra said...

Sorry I don't watch either. I'm not into any TV shows right now. I have heard a lot about The Office from some friends and they say it is super funny and addicting. Anyway good luck in your goal. My sister does weight watchers and she says it has worked far more than any other diet program she has been on. As for me...sorry don't hate me but I'm prego so I WILL GLADLY EAT FOR TWO HA HA. I think your on the right track with looking at what your eating and exercise. I'll be there with ya when this little one arrives. Keep us updated on your progress.

SD and EJ said...

I LOVE "The Biggest Loser." I think it's so cool that your work is doing that. Good luck! It sounds like you are doing great so far!