Monday, October 27, 2008

I miss the Castle of Cheese.

I've had a hard time since leaving Su Casa, with the Mexican food craving. I worked there a month shy of 10 years, it was my job through high school and through college. It was not only job but a place where I met some really great people and made some great friends. So, Scott is patient with my attempt to make Mexican food any chance I get. Sunday I made fajitas, with rice and black beans. It was mighty tasty (if you don't compare them to Su Casa fajitas.
So, since moving here, I've thought of the pros and cons of not having to work at the restaurant anymore.

Pros:
  • I don't come home with the smell of the food penetrated in my hair and clothes. I was constantly doing laundry!
  • I don't go in each day wondering how much money I'm going to make. Having a steady paycheck is way nice!
  • I don't have to deal with certain customers that no one liked to wait on. All Su Casa employees know exactly who I'm talking about.
  • I don't have to deal with the drama and greediness of some of my co-workers. Enough said.
  • I don't have to sweep and mop floors at the end of a closing shift.
  • I don't have to touch other peoples napkins and dishes. For being a germaphobe, I'm surprised I lasted so long.
  • I don't have to deal with the catcalls of the cooks. They obviously didn't know the meaning of sexual harrassment.
  • I don't have salsa splatters on my shoes.
  • The sore muscles, I always had knots in my shoulders.
  • I don't have to laugh and the dumb jokes like when I ask if they need anything else they say "Just a wheelbarrow to get me out of here." If I had a nickle for everytime someone said that to me and I had to laugh....
Cons:
  • I miss my regualr customers. I miss the Lynches, Briggs, Mark and James, Sandy and Jean, my mom and Sue, Amber and her kids, and many others.
  • I miss having cash on hand. Having small change all the time.
  • I miss the hustle and bustle of running around on a crazy night, trying to get everything done.
  • I miss having access to free soda, which should probably be in the pro list, but I'm being honest.
  • I miss the food! I could live off that food.
  • I miss the religous banter between Kevin (the LDS bishop) and Miguel (the JW).
  • I miss the birthday parties, mostly the birthday cake that Angie would buy, always chocolate!
  • I miss the fun times with Shannon and Amber. Remember when we got the fire department to come after we closed and I was still inside in the bathroom with all the lights out. You guys deserted me. WOW, that was a night for the books. I haven't laughed so hard in my life.
  • I miss the pictures that we would draw on the chalkboard for Kevin, where we should have been drawing advertisements.
  • I miss a job with so much personal interaction, not just with customers but with co-workers.
  • And most of all, the biggest con of no longer being at Su Casa is my friends. I miss Marcia, Jeanette, Angie, Valentine (the stubborn old man dishwasher that spoke no English and was mean to everyone but me), Shannon, Emily, Stephanie, Chris, Deanna, and most of all Amber.
Working there is a chapter of my life that is over, but it helped me grow in so many ways and I met some amazing people. And I don't think I'll ever get over the cravings.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

Mmm.... I love Mexican food! Looks good! Yes, I am working the rest of the week. Though it's hard to go back after being off for so long. See you tomorrow!

Emily said...

I miss you too!! I have been dying to have the fajitas and yours look amazing! You want to mail some down here in good ole Mexico for me!! I was laughing so hard because I totally know what you are talking about but I am dying to eat the food! I talk about it so much that all of the girls in my group say they are craving Su Casa and they havent even been there! When I get home I totally will have to come see you or we can meet up at Su Casa! Now that is what I am talking about!

Sandra said...

Wow I was surprised to see amount of pros and cons. I would think the pros of not working there would outweigh the cons but I sounds like it's the people you miss. Have you tried that sweet pork recipe? Your fajitas do look yummy!

destiny808 said...

I miss you so Much!!! I am sitting here laughing through my tears... OY!!! I love you Steph!!!

chris said...

HI STEP.... YOU ARE SO SWEET TO ADD ME TO YOUR LIST OF SU CASA FRIENDS... I MISS YOU AND AMBER SO MUCH YOU WILL NEVER KNOW...IT HASN'T BEEN THE SAME WITHOUT YOU GUYS....HOPEFULLY SOMEDAY WE CAN GET TOGETHER AGAIN..THAT WOULD BE SO MUCH FUN...YOU SOUND LIKE YOU ARE SO HAPPY. CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW JOB...TAKE CARE.... YOUR FRIEND.. CHRIS